Wednesday 17 February 2010

Meanwhile back in the Izdom of Iz...

PHEW!!! My oath that was strenuous. A moment or two for recovery will see me right. The ground is in good heart but still is in need of improvement. More seaweed, more manure and compost as well as heavy mulching. The blackcurrant bushes are budding well I reckon they can smell the Spring coming. The work is a long way from completion. Many tonnes of stone must be got to build retaining walls. Eventually, pointless to work beyond one's elastic limit. All the empty tomorrows to be filled with wholesome memories. Worth to work carefully without frenetic rush. If I can transfer a little of the hope I gain from my home field to Haiti. It will have been time well spent. I have heard a pile of words on the subject of permaculture over past years. It would be easy to get a crystalline picture from all the data pumped out in the media. Every garden site is different. Topography geology location and climate. The risk to the site of flooding fire and erosion. Haiti's true permaculture was destroyed along with the Carib Indians. The best one may do is resurrect what there is of it to serve mutually the needs of the land and the essential basic needs of the population. I hope readers will be able to recognise the difference between horticulture and agriculture. The former is what I am about. Organic gardening, utilising sustainable traditional practices, rather than petrol driven chemical agriculture.

No comments: