Monday 8 March 2010

Update on Iz efforts 4 Haiti...

The departure date has had to be moved to September. Gives us a chance to be more prepared and become better equipped. My bucket is not full but I have raised the ticket money and a bit more besides. More cash is needed to buy seed and tools as well as a contingency fund . Once there we will have no means of raising money. September will have seen an end to the rain in Haiti , a good time to start the garden project. In the meantime I have time to fill my own little field with food and make progress with my construction project. Today saw me attempt to plant purple onion sets, the ground was frozen solid, the chill factor of cold north easterly winds put paid to today's big plan.
Anne-So has prepared pots and trays for our stock of seeds. They now stand awaiting germination in the south facing window. We are ahead of the season , as it should be.
"D's" granny is being brought to Paris by an aunty for a rest to recover from living in the streets of a destroyed Port au Prince. "D" is working to save the cash to fund her own efforts.
Toby and I played for a while in Rennes market on Saturday. "Merely" busking got a good audience response but a poor fiscal return. I will make a better job of promoting the reason behind our musical exposition. There is no singular best way forward. No guaranteed good result, we must all do our modest best as our meagre resource will allow. A little can go a long way in the field. I wont be blagging big charities for our funding. Initial ground breaking hasn't started yet. I have a notion that once our work has been recognised by corporate monitors that help will be forthcoming. No one wants to back what may be perceived at first glance as just another scam, profiteering on disaster. There is a lot of it about. Our efforts being privately funded will establish trust, a prerequisite for long term sustainable progress. That progress will become evident in short order once the hoe hits the ground, followed by a new seasons crops.
I am short of information at present on appropriate tree species to replant in the field. I will be searching for data on fast growing indigenous utility wood. A garden needs protection. A kitchen needs a cooking fire. Reestablishing terrestrial ecology that leaves space enough for sustainable human development isn't impossible. I will post reportage with photos once some groundwork has been done. I wont waste time waxing lyrical on theoretical ideas. I leave that dubious privilege to the hoards of Google eyed voyeurs. If anyone should find information that will prove practical, please don't hesitate to contact me. In my most cynical moments I doubt that even passing information on to where it is most needed is within the well meaning gift of the average internet junky. We will see what transpires.
This week at home we have been making bundles of fagots,small branches and twigs. to be stored and dried to light the stove or fire an oven. A huge stack of straight poles are leaning against Emile's barn, the trunks of three oak trees have been sawn into 30cm blocks ready for splitting. All honour and respect to the seniors,Marie-Therese
and Emile their sterling work is an inspiration.
The sun has been blazing down all morning , it is 1:30, the chance of the ground being fit for planting onions now looks good. First lunch of vegetable dhal and roti. Then a bit of work. Positive economic progress is on going in the Izdom of Iz.

No comments: