Saturday 23 April 2011

When they say,"Take it easy"..

You know they're taking the piss only. It is generally all they have ever done, barring paying someone else to do the heavy.
I have just bashed my knees. It's put me right off me stroke. A heavy stone got the better of me. My luck has been good up to now. First real accident in four years. the weight caused me to overbalance, to avoid the rock crushing my foot and hand I threw myself away from the point of greatest hazzard Both knees smashed against the stoney ground , my chest too impacted squarely,leaving me winded a bit, I beat the ground with my right hand to absorb some of the shock. I could see it all happening in slow motion, but there is no doubt afterwards , acceleration due to gravity is a constant terrestrial law regardless of relative perception of time. OUCH. Only my "standing leg", my left is giving me trouble. When I stand , or walk, when I lift weight , ....or just move.
I hope the knee recovers soon or I am in danger of spinoff back problems from working in unfamiliar positions, awkward as hell.Makes working a real chore.
I do a bit then rest a bit. The seasons work can't be allowed to pile up.The retaining wall needs to be built this year.Winter frost and rain with blow the bank away.The neighbour wouldn't be happy I have a duty to support. The job was left unfinished when a sewage disposal system was put in before our time. Ugly to look at. Long delays and putting off. Good reason when the stones weren't available. I would be hard pressed to come up with a good excuse now save for the physical discomfort. I will nibble away at the diggings till I am ready for the big build up. The "take it easy" advice came from a thirty year old man who has done little else but follow his own well meant counsel for the whole of his life so far. Rankles a bit , does that. I pray he learns to speak my language one day. Bugger all gets done by sitting and looking.
Anne-So is preparing to plant out the tomatoes. She's putting covers on the supports which will be pulled down in the event of a threat of frost. The ground is well composted, that in turn well watered. A straw much will follow once the plants are tucked in and watered once more. We are using seaweed pellets as a standby fertilizer until we have generated enough " home grown" humus.
Marie Therese has just presented us with the last of the stored apples."Don't knock the wrinklies", sez I. Soft of body but fleshy and sweet. They make good compot,(apple sauce). Plenty enough till next apple harvest. There is other fruit to come.

No comments: