Friday 1 April 2011

Stoner news...

So what's next? There's a ton or two of sand to wheel to the top of the field. I'll not get too thrilled about that little prospect. Doesn't feel much like gardening at the moment.
The space between the dry stone wall and the circular foundation will contain the roots of kiwi fruit, grape and wisteria, all being well.Planning seems futile as I can only work with the materials I have to hand. My initial enthusiasm is undiminished but I have a more realistic view of the degree of difficulty.
Over the last century much of the mineral fines have eroded and washed away. It will be a welcome day when I can put some of the bulk back. Ditch diggings will serve well combined with the local red sandstone ballast. We are still on the look out for more stone. Another twenty tonnes would keep me happy for a while. But today ...pushing sand uphill, not my favourite. I'd better get on.

No comments: