Wednesday 12 April 2017

I am still here...

Hell, this is frustrating stuff. Just fumbling along trying to make some satisfying good out of this screen side interface. Not being formally initiated, though encouraged to actively participate. I'm being blinded by the light of on screen instruction. My eyes are photo sensitive. Attempting to learn from my computer without available real time human tutelage is destroying my eyesight. It is taking too long. My modest musical offerings may well be relegated once more to the dogshit covered streets. I thought those days were over. Recording video and publishing on YouTube is a favoured option,not ideal , I have yet to suss out how to get best audio quality.
  My practice sessions are not up to scratch by my reckoning, they serve my critical ear for what they are,  a means to monitor my own "progress".  It's not a good enough result. There isn't enough expertise in my home to upgrade my presentation. Performance isn't suited to the medium, playing in isolation. I think I need to meet and work with others who have common interests.
Recently I discovered a Moondog album on the YouTube; The blind "viking",  I wonder how much of his work would have been noticed had he not been blind or costumed. He seems to have had a mass of support and musical collaboration, (should that be cooperation?). Now he is dead he appears to be getting more exposure than ever. I met him in the early seventies, I had already been exposed to his music before that.  Since then, until last week I heard little of the man and his music.  I don't knock him or it. I still enjoy the music and I found nothing unpersonable about the man. I wasn't in awe, inspite of my impressionable youth, not of him his music or the fancy dress.
Busking the streets of Cork years ago,  a man advised me that if I had a costume I would be likely to make a better living. The thought of appearing to be anything else other than a homeless ragged arsed empoverished "bum", would be grossly misleading. A distraction from the audio performance.   If I'd had a change of clothes a theatrical costume would not be my priority. Appearing to be what I really am is important to me, preferred over  Bloomin' Arty makeover. What you see of me is what you get in all my ragged glory.  Folk ought to listen it's flute music not a visual circus trick.
Streetside , I thought I might meet other "displaced musicians", I did, but my luck, they had only been displaced from pubs. I have never been into the alcoholic pub and club life.  How do I meet others.
The internet seemed like a good way to reach other frustrated creative musicians. The practice samples posted may inspire someone, to make practical contact.  Before I fall of my perch. I am committed to keep playing, but without the fellowship of equally committed  others, so inclined , a supporting cast if you will , little but my scrappy practice videos will occur. Chance to hear anything close to the performance as intended, is minimal. There is no occassion,context for the music.
Streetside noise, traffic exhaust fumes, distraction from drunks or lonely people who just need to talk to someone. Medicated loonies and every kind of drug salesman as well as the constant attention of police hardly make for good performance. My body is knackered from work, made worse by the conditioning of suffering the  damage that standing in the street can do.  The passing crowds they just pass by. A rare small, unquantifiable pecentage would deign to stop and listen long enough to hear what I try to do well. My lungs can't take much more of the hazards of the street , and my tolerance level of idiots(I'll be the judge), is worn down through over exposure. Folk stop my music to entertain themselves with my presence, it doesn't compensate for the time lost. Doesn't contribute to the music. Doesn't put money in the hat..
Do I have to go back to there in order to make some progress with my modest gift?
 I can blow my tube and bang my drum in all manner of styles. My fluting has endured over fifty years practice. Rare is the occassion when I have been able to play with others. Little of those days was ever recorded.  "Blessed Merry Be" and "Longwinded Soundbites" are just living room jams.
If there is anyone out there interested in some experimental realtime musical collaboration , on and for the record. Don't hesitate to make contact. I'm not going anywhere, not yet.   Don't invite me to a party, I am not a party animal.
Well there is my grumbling brief. If anyone out there can help, it's your call. Get on wth it.
 If you are serious, I'm friendly. Bon courage. If you have language difficulties, my French is terrible but I try and communicate, don't be too shy,  music is the common language.  Harmony melodic counterpoint and syncopated rythms , all existed naturally before academia got it's greedy mitts on the music.  Don't be put off if you are unschooled in your gift. Just keep practicing what you want to excell in.
Where is this going.? Don't ask me. My typing finger is in need of a rest. That's all for now.
I. WAZIR







No comments: