Monday 6 July 2020

Mind yer language...

I just looked at my stats... So many American "visitors". I wont flatter myself that they are all keen for  my Garden progress. I have never had a comment from that side of the pond to my blog. Not to worry. Fact remains I smile in my own self indulgent amusement. Here's a related tale.
I once met a woman who claimed she was a gardener. A common interest you might say. Strange detail, she didn't know the names of plants, nor the circumstances and conditions they prefered to grow in. She worked as a groundsman's assistant employed by the council to help maintain Florence Park in Oxford. "The first woman gardener that the council had ever employed. " Her words, proudly spoken. I didn't question. I could see the work  for which she was employed. Relating to the conversational subject, she volunteered that her father grew Tomatoes in Canada, now he was retired he grew Oranges in his garden in Florida.  I have never been unduly impressed at grown adults with masses of worldly experience using  the parents practice as some kind of creditable qualification.
She claimed she liked weeding ( no not weeding whiting and with matic) , Couldn't tell me the names of any weeds, I let it pass. Armed with the tool for the job.  I foolishly acknowledged that she was a "Good Hoer"... She didn't like that one bit. Not much of a story, but one that illustrates a point.
Dumbed down AmeriCon or Conadian English is hardly likely to get the point nor appreciate the nuance of the real thing. AmeriCon browsers are welcome, but if you are looking for sordid filth to satisfy your perverted cravings, I am happy that you may be disappointed.
 Glad to get that out of the way, getting back now to doings a home. Yesterday gained me a couple of kilos of gooseberries. We only have one plant , now I have learned a little more about the plant I will set out some cuttings when the Autumn pruning is done..
 Today I transplanted Brocolli and Cauliflower. The first of the runnerbeans are delicious. The yellow Haricot are producing well. Transplanted a few rooted tomato cuttings yesterday. I took a good look at my plums and mirabelles. The volume of fruit is a worrying sight. It will take at least two families to harvest and process them without wasting the bounty.  The branches on the neighbours trees are cracking, near breaking with the weight of fruit. I am off now to water the garden  seven forty five pm. Cool time.  This will have to do for today's literate dredgings, if you are lucky you may have a couple of photos once I am done outside.









 

No comments: