Friday 4 September 2009

Home based economy...

Our microscopic income has afforded us a replacement for the camera that was stolen whilst visiting the Tree House Gallery in Regent's Park. It means we will be subsisting on not much more than a hundred Euros this month, but a record of the continuous progress is regarded as essential. I am so grateful to be back in my "reality zone". My workshop development has been on hold for months awaiting recovery of my health.
I found myself being extremely critical of the "goings on" in Regent's Park. I will most probably stab out miles of writing on my impressions , later (much later I hope) it isn't over yet. I am intrigued to see how the "Backyard in the park" event will end. Not so much the performances or talks,as the installation itself. My little sanctuary doesn't seem like such a foolish indulgence now. Temporary establishment doesn't work for me.Once we have started sticking stones down more sense than mere photograghs will come of the space. Permanent facility for all manner of creative work integrating art and craft at home.
I have often heard the phrase "get a Life!" but am still at a loss as to what folk mean when they say that. I am certain that it must mean a different something to each person who utters it. For me, a working life is my soul posession.Finding a way to optimize the gift has been the purpose of the long journey to date.
A design for living ,designing for life,is what I envisaged going to art college to study 3d design would be all about. It didn't happen. My burning vision of what I wanted to achieve in my hopeful youth is still with me in spite of much cynical opposition and obstruction encountered on the way. I feel young enough to think of my "life's work" ahead with optimism. I don't plan to retire as such. The gradual movement towards a long term sustainable pace is evolving.The seasons dictate the agenda of our labours. Perishables need preserving. Plantings and sowings need nurture. The work we do today is destined to support and enhance life far beyond tomorrow.Designing and building a future fit to live in is our modest full time occupation.
Anne-Sophie prepares peaches to make a compot. There will be apples to gather later. I will be sowing green manure on the centre circle as soon as the recent rains have dried enough. The winter salad is reviving since it was planted a day or two ago. A patch of mache has been sown but is not yet showing. I have just lifted some carrots for supper. We have all the ingredients now for Brinjal (aubergine),pickle. We will wait till the fruits have reached optimum size. they are looking good.I look forward to filling jars.The nearer to tasting.
Two summers ago my son sent me some runner bean seeds. They were hard to find in this region. We shared some of our seed with Marie Therese who also shared hers with friends. The way it is going we may never need to buy runnerbeans ever again. We have some in the freezer some are stored dry. what is left after this year will be planted on next year. Tomorrow we will be freezing patisson squash. I made Borsch today for the first time. I topped it with cream and basil flowers. It was good. Our home economy is strong and stable. The little bit of good we can generate is invested towards the greater good to come. Out of our context I still appear to be a raggedy man,I am content not to need to dress up to enjoy the ever growing prosperity at home. Austerity is not poverty.

No comments: