Saturday 19 September 2009

How old is the right age...?

Two people over the space of a week passed comments about my age. One comment , "Chill out old man"in some kind of retaliation against my criticism of a festival . The "Old Man" crack though poorly designed was meant to be a put down I guess. The other reference to my age came from a local man who was delivering telephone books in the village. We were engaged in conversation,just shooting the breeze,he spoke of some unnatural prejudice that he had to face,(he sported a full beard,he said he was a "Goth"). He asked me how old I was. On telling him he looked surprised. He was just checking out his curious estimate. He had figured me to be at least fifteen years younger than my actual fifty eight years. The other fellow had never met me in real life,a Facebook aquaintance, I can't claim to know him,I am not one for using age as any kind of rank or credential,nor youth for that matter. One size fits all civilization makes no differentiation. The second man although our meeting was brief expressed integrated views that weren't spawned in some spurious , exclusive ageist mindset.
I see no stigma in being old,attitudes are borne from experience. We may reject the counsel of caring friends and relatives but I see little need to stick ones head in the fire even just the once as a token act of rebellion against the collected common wisdom.
There are some who adopt the posture "if it is good for one,it is good for all" The first man felt challenged by my criticism. The thinking is flawed in my view. My preference
is more closely expressed as "if it is good for all,it may be good for one". Old and young are a singular entity. What is good for all we may pass on and share to the common benefit WE are inclusively THE PEOPLE.
I doubt that either of the men will read this, I would be frankly amazed if anyone does.They can pick the bones out of it themselves,or leave it on the side of the plate, as they like.It makes no odds to me. I am not dead yet.
I'll post a picture taken earlier today, the view from the path outside the house, Father and son working together to improve the familial homeland. The older man is still doing manually strenuous work(he's nearly seventy years of age) he never seems to stop.His son is driving the digger. Fair play to both.

No comments: