Sunday 22 November 2009

Iz digging in...

Stones layed out ready to be stuck down. There is the begining of a hole in the centre of the kitchen space, a kerb will be set in the schist and built up to finished floor level. The centre of the hole will be the site of an open fire initially which will make digging easier . Using fire and water to break the stone. A stone sleeve will be constructed within and almost touching the kerbstones. as the centre hole gets deeper the sleeve wall will be built up. The foundation of the sleeve, being undermined will cause the sleeve to sink. I have given myself enough space to work comfortably with pick and shovel. How long it will take to achieve the desired result of a well in the house is anyone's guess.I am under the impression that I may have to dig for at least six metres, one at a time please. Meanwhile the outside walls will be built up to accommodate windows and doors. I am a long way from having a roof over my head, being averse to spending time and material resources on temporary structures we are working with a budget much lower than the basic social security level. The subterranean water will be encouraged to stay in the garden space, covered cool and accessable, in principle once the round house is completed the water from the well will be potable, engineered to be so. If I have one nagging concern it is "Moses Syndrome", almost completing the journey then dying, most likely of overwork. A tragedy I will do my best to avoid. I am not Moses.

No comments: