Tuesday 3 November 2009

Update on a down day...

I've nearly got round to stabbing out a few words a dozen times since my last posting. I haven't been idle not in the real world. Mixing muck and laying stones. Rain stopped play for a couple of days. Left me twiddling my thumbs in frustration.. Photos would not do you much edifying good without words. I can't believe there would be that much interest in my work to justify the writing. I spent a dry bit of today picking at the ground in front of the house, using a puddle as my spirit level. I am preparing the ground to start building a retaining wall and a tidy surround for three concrete inspection covers. A little toad scuttled off narrowly avoiding being mashed by my hoe. I moved some stones aside to excavate the earth beneath them, I was delighted to spot a black salamander under the last rock. They are fairly rare round here but the population is growing in response to climate change, the green salamander is also making a home in our garden field. They are most welcome. Other local
residents worthy of mention, deer, wild boar, hawks and buzzards, two kinds of woodpecker, heron, jays, pheasant, partridge, owls, foxes, vipers, grass snakes and slow worms. There is more but lists can be as boring to write as they are to read.
It has started raining again. the puddle is spreading out. it will give me a new mark to work from when the deluge stops. I'm told the forecast promises some good working weather for Thursday afternoon. Happen I'll write some more then or maybe I'll give up writing my blog all together, we'll see. This cyberspace filler is the least satisfying part of my little life's progress. Writing it and posting photos sometimes feels like I am feeding the dead.

No comments: